Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have many clinical advancements and brand-new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do official source not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can injure you.
Ask for information on your medical professional's home LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The best cosmetic surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as each client. Be careful of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is page more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for a lot of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of countless people worldwide.